Before starting working on my cartoon’s poster I wanted to do the research on poster conventions to understand how to create my own.
These links helped me during my research:
And here are the main goals of the most posters:
- 1. ATTENTION – JUMP OUT FROM THE WALL.
- 2. ICONOGRAPHY – SHOWING WITHOUT TELLING.
- 3. INTEREST – CREATE AN INCENTIVE TO SEE THE FILM.
- 4. APPEAL – CREATE DESIRE WITH FANS AND NON-FANS ALIKE.
- 5. STYLE – A LOOK THAT’S CONSISTENT WITH THE FILM.
- 6. LASTING APPEAL – A LOOK THAT SUITS OTHER FORMATS.
- 7. RECOGNIZABILITY – IF IT’S A SEQUEL, MAKE IT OBVIOUS.
Later, I realised that it would be nice to learn composition techniques to fulfil all the goals of my poster. And these links were very helpful:
It is important to remember these concepts:
Find Your Focus
Direct the Eye With Leading Lines
Scale and Hierarchy
Balance Out Your Elements
Use Elements That Complement Each Other
Boost (or Reduce) Your Contrast
Repeat Elements of Your Design
Don’t Forget the White Space
Align Your Elements
Divide Your Design Into Thirds